Trees are witness to everything around us. They have lived longer and see more than many of us ever will. When we feel overwhelmed or perplexed, the magnificence of nature is something that can keep us grounded. Literally, earthing, is to walk barefoot on the earth absorbing the energy beneath your feet. This feeling, in my life of skepticism and “whys”, is greater than any scientific claim.
The Earth is my temple and the sky, the roof.
Being alone with trees is not lonely at all, it’s more complete than I could ever be. Sometimes I think it’s because we are made of the same stuff. Almost 98% (by weight) of a tree is made up of six elements: carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, phosphorus and sulfur. And what are we made of? Almost 99% of the mass of the human body is made up of six elements: oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus. We are more connected that you think!! And because of this magnificence of nature, and reflection of ourselves in it, we can never, truly feel alone!
I was once told that trees are more useful than humans even. They are useful dead or alive! Besides oxygen, they give us shade, and tree houses! And when they die, they give us wood, and create a rich environment for other life to grow.
And because at the end of these wonderful feelings I like to consider the science of it… I present to you 10 truths about trees:
1.Roadside trees reduce nearby indoor air pollution by more than 50%.
2.Office workers with a view of trees report significantly less stress and more satisfaction.
3. Trees properly placed around buildings can reduce air conditioning needs by 30% and can save 20–50% in energy used for heating.
4. A hollow in a tree is never greater than the diameter of the tree at the time it was injured.
5. Trees are included in most religions. Some hold certain trees sacred; other use trees to help teach beliefs
6.Buddha received his enlightenment under Bhodi tree.
7. Einstein discovered the law of gravity under a tree. ( That just makes trees cooler ) And that tree is probably still there!
8. It can take 10 minutes to walk around the crown of a giant Banyon tree in Calcutta. What!!?
9. Global forests removed about one-third of fossil fuel emissions annually from 1990 to 2007. It’s a pity we can’t say this about the present…
10. One large tree can provide a day’s supply of oxygen for up to four people!
If this isn’t magic, I don’t know what is!
Some Research :